Thursday, April 19, 2012

Heathers

Released: 1988
Directed by: Michael Lehmann
Starring: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, & Shannen Doherty

So as a double header, we also watched Heathers. Oddly enough it fit into our "Revenge" theme. I'm still collecting my thoughts on this movie.

So if you haven't seen it: Veronica is part of the "in crowd" of mean girls, all named Heather. Christian Slater comes along and convinces Veronica to teach them a lesson of sorts, only he's a little more manipulative. A few people end up dying, Slater tries to blow up the school, Veronica watches as he ends up blowing up himself, and declares that there's a "new sheriff in town." 

Looking at the characters:
Winona Ryder - Veronica - She's clearly very bright & not challenged. She clearly understands it's better to be one of the popular kids hating life, than not a popular kid. It's also interesting that she tries so hard to not be one of the Heathers, even though she is, yet as soon as a boy comes along she gives in to him. I was surprised she wasn't more upset by the events that happened, but maybe that boils into that teenage angst. She's so pretty, and doesn't have the giant teased hair...it's a shame when I see her I think...hmm you're a shoplifter. 

Heather Chandler - Kim Walker - Kim Walker looks like someone else, but I can't figure out who it is. She's your typical queen bee and falls victim to peer pressure. Ironically the tool she uses to control the school. I wasn't terribly upset to see her go. But she fell into that mean girl, because she hates herself.

Heather Duke - Oh Shannen Doherty, I feel as though she's not a nice person in real life (see Charmed & 90210). She may be, and if she is, then I apologize. It's easy not to like her. However, she has aged well! Anyway, Shannen's character is your typical high school mean girl sidekick. Incredibly insecure and power hungry, and because of that she'll always be a lacky. Yes, I know she seized power, but Veronica easily took it back. She's in love with how other people perceive her, but clearly not herself (see bulimia...which is so 1987). For a movie that was pretty deep, I was hoping to have a little more depth with the whole eating disorder thing.

Heather McNamara  - Lisanne Falk - This Heather was just kind of there. She was always portrayed as the dumb one. She clearly has image/personal problems, and I like that Veronica was sympathetic to that after Heather tried to kill herself.

Jason Dean  - Christian Slater - He irked me from the start. He was such a weasel. I did not care for this character. I just wanted to smack him & say "straighten up & fly right." I get the rebellious good looking guys,  (see Riggins from Friday Night Lights), but he was a little bit too greasy for me. Plus the whole...I don't mind killing people thing was a bit unsettling. 

All in all the movie made some very appropriate commentary, that I feel still rings true today.

Mean Girls -  Girls are mean, because they don't like themselves. All of that anger allows them to control others. Plus it's easier to hate life as a mean girl than hate life being picked on by a mean girl. This was a much darker version of the Lohan movie, of which I did really enjoy. 

Absentee Parents  Adults- There were several instances of absentee parents. Veronica's parents were pretty much oblivious to everything (although her mom, Jennifer Rhodes, looked rough...btw: She played Grandma Halliwell to Shannon Doherty in Charmed). The creepy boyfriend your daughter is dating comes in to warn against suicide and you take his word? Heather Chandler's parents weren't even present & didn't think it was odd their daughter committed suicide after being visited by two friends - one of which looked really creep (Christian Slater).

The administration handled the entire situation poorly. On one hand when the football players died, I too would be a bit annoyed that the jerks were made into saints (see Season 2 of Dawson's Creek when Abby died). However, in the age we are today amidst the 2nd Civil Rights battles with homosexuality...I was glad the parents circled around and loved their kids anyway. 

Oh and Christian Slater's parents? His mom committing suicide (giving Slater's propensity to lie, this may have been a lie)! His dad seemed pretty absentee and oblivious to Slater.

Oddities: 
There were only a few bleachers in that gym. No one walking in noticed the dynamite strapped to every pole? Not even the pot head girl?

When Christian Slater is walking up the stairs at the end, I feel like the layout of the school was in congruent. You walked all the way to the top of the stairs to go to the 1st floor gym and sub floor Boiler Room?

I thought it was a really good movie. It characterized different groups in high school with depth, and showed the lengths people will go to "get even." I wish it had someone other than Christian Slater, because - surprise surprise - I didn't like him! 

The film is a great juxtaposition to the 80's teen movies where everyone gets a happy ending. The movie is dark, but it's not overly depressing. You find yourself in the weird position of saying, well...they had it coming? Then you realize...wait...they didn't just get pushed to the bottom of the food chain (well some of them did), some of them were murdered!

Speaking of the murder...did they not test for finger prints in 1988? I mean seriously!? The amount of evidence they left is astounding!

I can't imagine this film being released today. There's no way in the wake of Columbine/Virginia Tech, that the censors wouldn't have a field day with this movie. Drugs, Sex, Violence, Killing Classmates...I feel as though certain parents would not be okay with this movie (it is however rated R).

No comments:

Post a Comment